Sunday, 28 May 2017

Half term

Half term and I have spent the best part of the today and yesterday just taking it easy. This half term was always one I really looked forward to. The Upper Sixth leave for study leave and the Lower Sixth have finished their exams. This translates to no marking over half term and, although I do have some preparation to do, it makes this the only half term of the year when I don't have to spend most of it marking.
It has been a very gruelling few weeks run up. I've been running revision sessions and setting a lot of timed essay which then have to be marked. This last week has been very difficult with students upset and subdued due to the awful events in Manchester- some of them knowing those who attended on that night or who had thought of booking for the concert in question.
 Friday was so hot; I just developed an aching head and incredible tiredness and knew that I was going to suffer from "weekend syndrome" yesterday- sure enough I got up but had to go back to bed until noon and then went back for an hour's sleep in the afternoon. I feel much better today and have even been to the gym, most of the day I've just been pottering around though.
Tomorrow I am meeting friends for a meal in Manchester and will visit St Ann's square where the flowers are and think of the lives so dreadfully taken. When I read the words of commiseration on facebook it makes me sad to think that the world and media will quickly move on but for those families, the pain is only just beginning and will never go away.

No comments:

Post a Comment