Monday, 26 October 2015

Tax credit reforms defeated in Lords

I know that we have to cut the deficit and I am all for reducing welfare dependency in ways that help people take responsibility for their lives, but I am overjoyed that the Lords has voted against the Government's proposed changes to tax credits as I feel these hugely and disproportionately would have affected the poorest and most vulnerable in society. My concern is that this is only a delay. My hope is that it will lead the Government to genuinely reconsider and craft changes that are more carefully thought out. I don't like the threatening noises about the role of the Lords at all.
I have been following the debate this evening and, for the time being, I am glad and thankful. Plus it is very satisfying to see George Osborne looking so riled...

1 comment:

  1. Oh how I agree. This time however, I think Osborne will be overwhelmed by public opinion to such an extent that he will have to rethink his personal agenda.
    This Government can't afford to lose any more supporters.

    ReplyDelete