Monday, 31 August 2015

Retirement

I've been teasing Mr.M all day about how this morning I woke up next to an OAP (yes, today is his 65th birthday.) He doesn't seem to mind as he is more fixated on how George Osborne is going to have to give him some money at the end of the month. On a more serious note, having a husband who is older than me has made me think about the future and my hope at the moment is that I may be able to give up work, or at least swap my current job for something less full on, in a few years time. I know that I really do have to stay in work for the time being (or try to) as we happen to be paying a son through university, but three years up the road it is possible that I might be in a position to at least change my working circumstances in order to enjoy a "retirement" or semi retirement with my husband.
As with any dream like this, you do need to think through the logistics, for example the effect on the work based pension I will receive in later life, before taking any decisions. You have to be realistic, yet at the same time there is more to life than money and sometimes you just have to follow your dreams.So think of me while I think and plan things out. Also spare a thought for the younger generation who at the moment seem to look like having a raw deal in terms of pensions, retirement age, students loans and less generous welfare support when they need it.I know I feel for and worry for my own children as they face a more onerous future than the one that I faced when I was their age.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to Mr M!

    As noted in the comment on the cat – I have an interview for the CQC next week. Part of the reason for wanting the post is because it has very good terms and conditions re: pension. Moreover, if I were to get it, my partner and I have decided we are going to take the money and run from the South East. Like many who live in the South East we have watched the value of our house rise in leaps and bounds – for the price of our two bed town house on the fringes of London, we could have a four bed detached in Congleton in Cheshire or a small castle in Sutherland, Scotland. We’re sick of the effort of commuting into central London everyday (I’ve been doing it for 20 years now). So we have our sights set on Shropshire or Herefordshire, where we could afford a much bigger house and be almost mortgage free – there’s only two of us, but we live as hostages to my partner’s obsession for books and DVDs – collectors are hoarders who dust! We’ll miss arty things, like the Proms and theatre and exhibitions, but I’m sure we’ll find compensations outside of the beautiful south!

    Yet, like you, I worry about those not well on the housing ladder and those without nice fat pensions building up. I think the generation that comes after us will have a miserable retirement. That said, please Mr Osborne and Mr Iain Duncan Smith – increase the means-testing for social and nursing care. The number of middle-class folk who spirit off tens of thousands of pounds just before mummy goes in the old folks home is scandalous - they see it as their right to get free care. As you said in a post a few months ago, it isn’t the single mums on benefits that gobble up public funds, but your over 65s. We have to have some way of channelling that money back into the economy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you should do it if you can and it you feel the time is right. I've just reached that point where I would rather live on less and have a bit more time- I do just need to think it through and plan sensibly though.

    ReplyDelete