Sunday, 28 June 2015

The need for Grace



I suppose most people have heard or seen Obama's singing and oratory at the funeral of Clemanta Pinckney. I have to say I was impressed at how multi-talented Obama is- I could suddenly see him fitting really well into the role of a South Carolina pastor as an alternative career. Joking apart, the address really was quite moving, as has been the way that this church has responded with forgiveness and resolution in the face of pure hatred and ugliness. I suppose I wasn't the only one who watched this clip and thought of Martin Luther King and of the history of civil rights and of how the struggle against the irrational hatred still goes on.
We have seen an awful lot of hatred and ugliness in the news recently with yesterday bringing accounts of three atrocities. As always, the one given most attention in the media was the one that we could all imagine happening to us (funny that...), namely the attack on holidaymakers in Tunisia. Yet in a way, as Shakespeare wrote, even the freshest bad news, "is old enough... it is every day’s news." There will always be hatred, corruption, evil, atrocity. It really is every day's news. Yet grace, that quality of mercy that is unstrained and freely given and which enables human beings to access hope, healing and redemption even in the most painful and horrible of situations, although it does not reach the headlines so often, is also everyday's news- or it should be.
I published the clip above to remind myself of that fact.

1 comment:

  1. I particularly like the emphasis on "United" states of America.
    One word says it all.

    Something to aspire to.

    ReplyDelete