Monday, 15 June 2015

Homework

Yesterday we were given some homework in church which was to read one of the gospels afresh and think of how far our minds intersect with the mind of Christ. I will definitely read one of the gospels again, John has always been my favourite because of its reflective and metaphorical approach. I am not quite so sure about comparing my mind to that of Christ/ God. I was pondering this in church. At the moment I am grappling with quite an intense desire to get hold of a particular individual in my life and kick them into a bloody pulp. It is not a member of my family, and I can't say too much about it, but I am not sure it accords very closely with the idea of loving your enemies. Mr M on the other hand has a more generous interpretation and, pointing to Jesus among the money changers, suggested that the odd fantasy of kicking to bloodied pulp (as long as not acted on) is entirely Christ like. Any theological, or other thoughts on this would be welcome as I already seem at an impasse in my homework.
On Saturday (which was rather overcast and drizzly) Mr M decided to  try to cheer me up with a little window shopping. I'd told him I  wouldn't buy anything as I don't need anything at the moment and so it would be a waste; we would just look. Let me say now that this is a really stupid idea. There seems to be an unwritten rule that whenever you desperately need something there is absolutely nothing and whenever you resolve not to buy a thing, you suddenly find lots of things you love or they really suit you ... and so on.
On reflection however, if the only troubles facing me are the ones above, relatively speaking I am quite fortunate compared to over half of the world which lives in poverty and so many people in war torn regimes.
 I will let you know how I get on with my homework :)

2 comments:

  1. Perhaps some kick-boxing lessons would come in handy, either to carry out your original wish or to use up your negative energy. Shalom.

    ReplyDelete