Tuesday, 31 December 2013

2014



 I don't make New Year's resolutions any more. This is because I think that the things we ought to do and which form the basis of most New Year's resolutions (eat healthily, exercise, don't smoke, invest in our relationships, seek job satisfaction, manage our money well) require us to resolve to do them on an almost daily basis rather than once a year, furthermore, and this will sound contradictory, radical changes such as getting up at 5.30 to go for a jog each morning are just so much more likely to fail when begun in the grim and arduous month of January. So, it being nearly January, as I always do during that month, I will aim to cherish myself a little more, take the opportunity for some extra hours in bed whenever I possibly can and not to worry about any extra pounds gained over Christmas as these can sort themselves out in the spring.

  But if I were to make a resolution, then it would be to try always to feel grateful for all the good things in my life and to savour them.  You can read here of gratitude currently in the news, and it maybe won't tell you anything you weren't aware of - but then remembering the vital lessons we've already learned is as important as learning new things.
I already know that 2014 is likely to bring fairly major changes in my circumstances. These changes may be daunting but they will also offer opportunities and it is vital that I hold on to the important things, the central things, those things that really matter, not money or status or even stability, but faith and love and hope and a sense of gratitude which goes beyond "counting your blessings" to something more profound (listen to video above.)
I wish you all a blessed start to 2014.

2 comments:

  1. Amen to that, Sue. Gratitude is so important. Wishing you all the very best for what is obviously going to be a significant year for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Perpetua, wishing you the best too!

    ReplyDelete