Sunday, 7 October 2012

Walking cheerfully

Today is the final day of Quaker Week 2012 and, although there have been various events running, I am sorry to say that I have been too busy to take part in any of them, unless you count turning up for the lunch organised at someone's house today and eating the food lovingly prepared by others, while bringing my own contribution which was rustled up on a trip around Tesco! Work, as you may gather, is very busy at the moment. I know it always is, and I am not wanting to complain, but it has been hard to fit things in of late.
Weekends are important to me, and I think it is essential that I try to do something every weekend that gives me space and time just to "be" rather than to "do". This may be a long walk,  worship, a visit to friends, a meal out with my family - anything that brings peace and joy and nurtures the soul. Friendship and fellowship today gave me that chance to feel peaceful and ready to face the week, and my mind was drawn to the following advice:
              "Walk cheerfully over the earth, answering that of God   in everyone."
                                                                                                   (George Fox)
I am not sure I spend enough time being walking cheerfully and I am not sure I spend enough time answering that of God in everyone. It is something that I try to do, but sometimes I get caught up in bitterness, or anger, or disillusion,  or a sense of the injustice or ugliness of life, or just sheer weariness. Of course, it would not  be good  for us to be oblivious to these things or to deny that we can have negative emotions. At the same time though, we  do need to balance them against the good, we need to recognise that bitterness against something means it has power over you, and we need to find a place in ourselves where we can be at peace with others and with God.
This week I shall try to walk cheerfully and answer to God in everyone, and I feel better simply at the thought that that is what I want to do!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete