Saturday, 20 October 2012

Reliance on God

TO THE SUPREME BEING
by: Michelangelo (1475-1564)

The prayers I make will then be sweet indeed,
If Thou the spirit give by which I pray:
My unassisted heart is barren clay,
Which of its native self can nothing feed:
Of good and pious works Thou art the seed,
Which quickens only where Thou say'st it may;
Unless Thou show to us Thine own true way,
No man can find it: Father! Thou must lead.
Do Thou, then, breathe those thoughts into my mind
By which such virtue may in me be bred
That in Thy holy footsteps I may tread;
The fetters of my tongue do Thou unbind,
That I may have the power to sing of Thee,
And sound Thy praises everlastingly.

 Those of you who still bother to read this blog may have realised that I have been rather busy recently and blogging, as well as some other things, have rather fallen by the wayside. I always think that posting a poem is a good way to get back blogging; one of the rules of blogging is that the more you blog  the easier it is to blog!
I rather like religious sonnets, and  this seemed to hit the spot today. This beautiful sonnet has within it the idea of a God who, like the artist, is the source of all growth, creativity and being.  It reminds me of those times when we feel too exhausted or busy to pray, or those dry spells when  the " unassisted heart is barrren clay." There is a beautiful dependence on God in this sonnet, and all that matters is that we do keep looking to him and walking in his way and finding it in us to sound his praises as he unbinds the fetters and  breathes new life into us.

No comments:

Post a Comment