Wednesday, 26 September 2012

Choosing Canterbury

This article on the BBC website is a handy at-a-glance-guide to some of the contenders for Canterbury. The only one who really appeals out of their hot favourites is Christopher Cocksworth on the basis that he hasn't said what he thinks about anything (we're used to that).  Then there's his name...(see final link.)  Meanwhile the Church of England has published a prayer for the Crown Nominations Commission. It has lots of auspicious sounding words in it such as steadfast, united, grace, truth and love, which means it's nothing like my version which goes
a. Please don't let them appoint some utter **** (insert expletive of choice) and
b. God help the poor **** (insert expletive of choice) whoever he is.

You can take your pick which to pray.
Meanwhile, the Guardian has published this brilliant interactive guide, I do hope the Crown Commissioners have access to it because it is just as effective as eny-meeny-miny-mo and a lot more fun.
(Speaking of fun, you have to see this!)

4 comments:

  1. Sue, i just lovce the Guardian guide. :-) Many thanks for posting it.

    Interestingly, in all the areas I think are really important. Stephen Cottrell's name kept coming up. I've been very impressed by him ever since he ran a clergy in-service day in my then diocese and I started reading his books. I'd love to think he might be chose, but I'm not holding my breath....

    ReplyDelete
  2. The interactive guide is great! I notice they don't list my preferred candidate, Victoria Matthews. She's the only bishop who has experience of two provinces, and she handled the Christchurch earthquakes so well. She's the obvious candidate, wonder why they haven't included her....?

    I much prefer your prayer to the official one! But I can't see why we can't use both your options?

    Iffy Vicar

    ReplyDelete
  3. You CAN use both my options. I am open to you using both type A and B (unlike the C of E when it comes to choosing an Archbishop...)
    In fact, also unlike the C of E, my prayer was intended to include equally within it both A and B.

    ReplyDelete