Saturday, 12 May 2012

Tallis -If ye love me


Tomorrow's gospel reading from John 15 is moving in the power and simplicity of its message - to remain in Christ's love and to obey his commandment to love one another. It is another of those deceptively simple things which we are instructed to do. Love is not something we easily achieve when we are to caught up with our own concerns and issues. The passage before stresses the need to abide in Christ,  to keep looking to him and to constantly draw from the vine if we are  are to bear fruit which will last. This beautiful piece above is well worth listening to as you think about this reading, although it is worth noting the words come from John 14 but are on the same theme : If ye love me, keep my commandments, and I will pray the Father,and he shall give you another comforter, that he may bide with you for ever, ev’n the spirit of truth.
This music  gives me a sense of the sheer peace and joy of simply abiding when on our own we might be inclined to struggle and become absorbed with our own  thought processes, conflicts and concerns.

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful, Sue. I love Tallis, but hadn't come across this. Thanks for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad you like it, Perpetua. (Must get around some other blogs soon, I've been so busy!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I rather like singing the piece, because it is fab - and has lovely tenor line (which allows me to give it some welly!).

    ReplyDelete