Tuesday, 3 April 2012

Judas, Peter

Rembrant's Judas returning the pieces of silver
Because we are all betrayers
taking silver and eating
body and blood and asking
(guilty) is it I and hearing
him say yes
it would be simple for us all
to rush out
and hang ourselves


but if we find grace
to cry and wait
after the voice of morning
has crowed in our ears
clearly enough
to break our hearts
he will be there
to ask us each again
do you love me?

I have recently discovered this wonderful, simple but meaningful  poem by Luci Shaw. In it we are all  cast as "betrayers", as guilty sinners. The difference lies in  how we respond to the pain of sin-whether we choose despair or reach out for grace. The events of Holy Week "break our hearts" but it is through being broken by a sense of love that we are transformed.

5 comments:

  1. That is superb, Sue. Thanks so much for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful find Sue and thanks for putting it here.
    These last few days of Lent can be pretty grim ones and I like the hope engendered at the end of this one.
    Blessings for these last few days of Holy Week. I have enjoyed making the Lenten journey alongside you this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both. I love to find poems and readings which feed me and it is nice to know that others respond to them too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you have been reading my mind Sue!

    In my Soundtrack for Holy Week, I featured Judas today, and will be featuring Peter tomorrow to make the same point!

    It is a beautiful prayer - thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read your Judas piece, Benny. I thought it was very good. I shall look forward to your piece on Peter. I find these two betrayals during Holy Week very thought provoking and incredibly moving. I love the way that the things I read and my thoughts and prayers seem to open up something slightly new all the time.I am going to try to put together some thoughts about the Resurrection this Easter.

    ReplyDelete