Sunday, 22 April 2012

Expressions of faith

Lord, You have always given
bread for the coming day;
and though I am poor,
today I believe.

Lord, You have always given
strength for the coming day;
and though I am weak,
today I believe.

Lord, You have always given
peace for the coming day;
and though of anxious heart,
today I believe.

Lord, You have always kept
me safe in trials;
and now, tried as I am,
today I believe.

Lord, You have always marked
the road for the coming day;
and though it may be hidden,
today I believe.

Lord, You have always lightened
this darkness of mine;
and though the night is here,
today I believe.

Lord, You have always spoken
when time was ripe;
and though you be silent now,
today I believe.


I published this prayer/ poem just over two years ago when we were going through a painful time. I found it very difficult to cope. I didn't quite know what the future held and I felt great sadness and grief.  Most of our worries are, of course, groundless, but it is hard to put things in perspective, especially if you are the worrying type (I am!) It is very easy to talk about trusting God, until you are in a position where you actually have to do that and then you can find that faith only goes some way toward alleviating anxiety.
I am currently facing a worrying situation at work. I am not really supposed to talk about it on facebook or the Internet in general, so cannot give more details, but it is likely to continue for a while. Anyhow, I am posting this today, not really for myself (because I am coping OK) more because I found it meaningful and I am currently thinking of all those who are living with anxiety and need peace and trust.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you for reposting that, Sue, as I wasn't blogging back then. Prayer doesn't need details to be valid, so I'm praying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Perpetua. I'm fine actually. I faced the same situation at work last year and am likely to face the same next year! I can't live in a state of constant dread, so I have adopted a more laid back approach! But thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this great prayer Sue.

    Although I no longer work, I remember being in a protracted work situation that was so bad for a long time. It was breaking my spirit and soul. Like you say, we can't live in a constant state of dread and yet that is so often how we find ourselves.

    You are in my prayers today and always and I'm glad you are taking the laid back approach !
    Blessings

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Philomena. Blessings to you:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for posting one of my favourite prayers which has kept me going through some of the darkest times in my life.
    Blessings to you...

    ReplyDelete