Wednesday, 12 October 2011

Father, Son and Fashionista

The gospel reading this week was the parable of the Wedding Banquet (Matthew 22), you know, that story which is rather touchy-feely until the bit where the King discovers the guest who isn't wearing wedding clothes and then has him bound and cast into the outer darkness, accompanied by wailing and gnashing of teeth. I've read a few anguished posts on this one this week, but I have to admit that I was thinking it sounds fair enough. After all, if you are going to turn up at someone's wedding and scoff their free food and quaff their wine, it seems to me the least you can do is to make a bit of an effort and make sure you look the part. Does anyone have a problem with that?
As I was listening to the reading and thinking about clothes and appearance, it occured to me that it was absolutely ages since I visited  Beauty Tips for Ministers in which the wonderfully named PeaceBang spreads the gospel that Christianity does not have to equal frump and offers advice to vicars on matters sartorial because, "God knows you're in the public eye and need to look good."
It was clearly a word from the Lord, so when I got home I logged straight on and I wasn't disappointed. Since my last visit, PeaceBang has continued to dispense sound advice, including articles on whether a vicar can get away with wearing shades, an article on some ground breaking research about how makeup makes you look more competent and trustworthy, a stern post  about leggings which warns us all that "you are not to fall prey to the Satanic temptation" to wear them (or presumably PeaceBang may cast you into the outer darkness ), advice for pregnant vicars on how to be "knocked up in style", and even a post on adopting and adapting nun's habits (think that's just for nuns, but I leave it to your discretion...)
Beauty Tips for Ministers is largely a blog for women and not necessarily just for vicars, but Peacebang does offer advice to men. Under the "Advice for my menfolk" link we find articles such as "don't wear a silly tie when making a serious appearance" and some advice on how to shed a dullsville clergy image, although pesonally when I saw the picture to the left I did think most vicars might find it hard to work that outfit and still be trusted to baptise babies...
Anyhow, I commend PeaceBang's blog to anyone who likes to be entertained, or fears the kind of fashion faux pas that leads to wailing and gnashing of teeth, or  would simply prefer to truly look as if they are made in God's image ,because as PeaceBang might say, God isn't frumpy, darlings, she's got style.

2 comments:

  1. Presumably the 'sky pilot' in the picture flies Transylvanian Airlines?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I leave it to you to speculate:)

    ReplyDelete