Friday, 13 May 2011

News from Uganda

 The news from Uganda, where the bill allowing the death penalty for homosexual acts has been recommended  by a committee, I am not sure it has been passed, but this scenario is looking increasingly likely. I did think that the Church of England's response to the possibility of this was somewhat mealy mouthed - was this just me? I am not holding my breath over the likely reaction - if any reaction - from Canterbury. I know from experience that the next few weeks, possibly months, may be a time when I find it difficult to remain in the Church (this is not a reflection on the church I currently attend, more on the attitudes seen in the official hierarchy of the Church of England.) However, the main concern is not for how this affects us, but for the appalling situation for those people of Uganda denied their right to be treated as human beings because of the fact that they are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgendered.

                                        *******************************************
Latest reports are that the bill has not been debated, this is a cause for celebration, but not complacency because there are very likely to be attempts to reintroduce it later this year once national outrage has died down. I think the video below strikes a balance between celebration and caution. I know most of you will know this, but it is not the case that all Ugandans support this bill and want it passed - and there are Christian voices, such as Christopher Senyemo, speaking against it. I would personally like our Ugandan Archbishop of York to be a little more vocal in his condemnations of the death penalty.

2 comments:

  1. Our dioceses in Wales has had an official link with a diocese in Uganda for years and for years I supported it wholeheartedly. Now I am very torn whenever our link is mentioned. How can people, especially Christians, even think of treating their fellow humans this way?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you should feel torn about having a link with a diocese in Uganda, I think it is a positive thing. Not all Ugandans think this way for a start, secondly many Ugandans think they do not know anyone who is gay (because people are closeted through fear)and that makes it easier to demonise people. People find it harder to retain prejudices, or condemn people to death, when they see a human face rather than a set of stereotypes. That goes for all of us!

    ReplyDelete