Tuesday, 12 April 2011

Nick Holtam next Bishop of Salisbury

News today that Nick Holtam is to be the next Bishop of Salisbury. He will be the first bishop married to a divorcee to be appointed, although I think there are those who have married divorcees after their appointment. Nick Holtam is  Liberal Catholic, a member of Inclusive Church and his appointment has been welcomed by liberals. He supported Changing Attitude in holding their 10th anniversary at St Martin's in the Fields and welcomed Gene Robinson to attend. Not everyone is happy, but I pray he sticks to his principles.

8 comments:

  1. Nick is by all accounts a great guy & a very inclusive man of God.
    Good see that he has got over the handicap of being an alumni of Westcott House to rise to such a position.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know quite a few people who have been at Westcott House!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was being sarcastic Sue! (W.H. has unfairly been labelled a "charm school for chaps". At one stage, at least, it was the college that provided most bishops to the CofE.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've met a few charming chaps from WH!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Canon Andrew Godsall14 April 2011 at 11:53

    It is an excellent appointment and the opposition voiced by John Richardson and Church Society and 'Stand Firm' causes me to hang my head in shame.

    Andrew Godsall, Exeter

    ReplyDelete
  6. 100% in agreement, Andrew, both about the quality of the appointment and the shame.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey! Get a life you lot. I seem to remember someone who just got on his legs and preached the Gospel. He ended up being crucified and achieved the salvation for all those who repented, turned to him and renounced evil. I don't remember him discussing bishops at all...

    ReplyDelete