Thursday, 14 April 2011

Bridges not walls

I don't suppose this will come as much of a surprise to anyone, but the diocese of LA has rejected the proposed Anglican Covenant. Conservatives on the other extreme have also already rejected it. In short, the Covenant has little or no chance of uniting us, my main fear is that it will just prove another focal point for division and bitterness. In spite of that, I think there is a good chance that it will be adopted in the UK, mainly out of loyalty to Rowan Williams. I am divided as to whether I think adopting the Covenant will cause us to stagnate as a Church (what more than we are at the moment?) or whether it will not make a blind bit of difference and simply prove a colossal waste of paper!

The report is worth reading, it lays out the reasons for rejecting the Covenant and hopes that we can emphasise the positive, not the negatives, and build "bridges not walls."

No comments:

Post a Comment