Saturday, 30 April 2011

Friends and fellowship

I have had a busy week! On Tuesday we travelled down to London, partly to see our niece's baby, but  also to do some sight seeing - we did not go down to see the wedding, in fact we missed it while travelling back yesterday! Today I went to Manchester for a meeting of a fellowship group I belong to, only a few of us made it but we had a lovely time, great meal and some good conversations.

When we meet up we usually spend some time in a church, so we visited Manchester Cathedral for some quiet time to think and pray ( and take photos!), one member of our group was also from Zimbabwe, and there was a group outside the Cathedral asking people to sign a petition calling for the end to abuses of human rights in Zimbabwe. I spoke to one of the men a little about the Anglican Church in Zimbabwe.

There are some photos above and more here for anyone not too bored by my snaps.

6 comments:

  1. Your snaps are interesting, not at all boring, Sue, though the link I think you meant to make isn't working. Your day in Manchester sounds very worthwhile as well as enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the subject of Zimbabwe, I've learnt today that Mugabe is a Catholic and will be visiting Rome for the Beatification of Pope John II.

    Disgusting, he shouldn't be allowed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just googled this story - pretty appalling

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gosh - I hardly recognised the backdrop of Cross Street and the Arndale - or what was built in its place after the 1996 bombing. As a young Christian I used to spend HOURS in Manchester Cathedral and regularly attended its Weds and Fri communion services. I did my first degree at Manchester, but haven’t really been back to the city since. We went to a concert at the Bridgewater Hall the last time we were visiting relatives (both my parents and my partner’s mother living in or around Manchester) – but that was just a case of nipping in and out of the city by car, I’ve not pounded the streets of Manchester since the early 90s.

    Yes, Zimbabwe does make up sit up and think. I am afraid I have rather jaded views about Zimbabweans themselves, but you can’t dismiss a nation from my personal experiences and I certainly don’t. But I did work with many young Zimbabweans with AIDS defining cancers when I worked in palliative care social work and quickly came to learn not to believe a word they told me – not until I had hard evidence anyway. Lying – often about trivial things, but more importantly major issues, seemed part and parcel of the culture. It could just be that it has become part of the Zimbabwean culture not to tell the truth to officials (and I was at that time working for a local authority) because of the history of authority in the country. Whatever, I quickly learned that it was pointless bending over backwards to help some of these patients, because much of what they told me was untrue.

    That said, no one can condone the situation in Zimbabwe, but I think to just see Mugabe as the baddy and the opposition as the ‘goodies’ rather belies the complex nature of the county’s culture. We’ve just had lots of news about the civil war in Cote d’Ivory – where there was an attempt to paint a similar picture of almost Manichaean dualism between the two factions. Yet it turned out both sides committed horrific atrocities. I long for Mugabe’s overthrow, but great care will be needed when this occurs if a repeat of the recent debacle in Cote d’Ivory is to be avoided.

    P.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is time to canonise President Mugagbe. He is the only man I know who upholds the teachings of Anglican Mainstream.

    ReplyDelete