Saturday, 9 April 2011

Comfort food

Feeling a bit down after some news on Friday - don't ask because I can't say - so decided on food therapy. First of all my son cooked pancakes for me at lunchtime, and then I repaid him by whisking up this coffee and walnut cake, which went down a treat with a cup of tea. I did also go down the gym later, but I am unsure if that is enough to atone for the high calorie count.

 Easy Coffee and Walnut Cake

2tbsp chicory and coffee essence
175g (6oz)  softened butter or baking margarine
175g (6oz) caster sugar
3 medium eggs
175g (6oz) self-raising flour
100g (31/2 oz) walnuts, crushed up

Filling:

125g (4oz) butter, softened
250g (6oz) icing sugar
1-2tbsp chicory and coffee essence
6-8 walnut halves

1. Cream the margarine and caster sugar until fluffy
2. Beat in the eggs a little at a time
3.Add the coffee essence
4. Sift in the flour and fold into the mixture
5. Place in two 7inch baking tins and cook for 25-30 mins at 170c
or 150c for fan assisted  ovens.
6. Turn out and cool
7. Cream the butter, icing sugar and coffee essence together
8. Spread half as filling, half as topping and decorate with walnuts.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmmmm Yum! Pity cyber cake doesn't taste too good.

    Still I am managing (just) to stay off dark chocolate - my lenten sacrifice.

    So at least the bathroom scales approve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Sue, how can you do this to us in Lent? Definitely one for the post-Easter recipe file :-)
    I'm afraid my chocolate fast slipped a couple of times during my dreadful cold, but no more now...

    ReplyDelete