Sunday, 17 April 2011

Analyse your blog style


I write like
J. D. Salinger
I Write Like by Mémoires, journal software. Analyze your writing!

I found the above blog analyser on The Vernacular Curate (aka Margaret Atwood,  feminist writer and poet!) I wanted James Joyce, or Emily Bronte - yes, I do know they are completely different, but apparently I write like J.D. Salinger and I can live with that quite nicely. However, it is a complete scam, I seem to have a bit of a split personality as different blog posts brought up different authors.  Probably the most common was H.P. Lovecraft - and I must confess that this literary genius had escaped my knowledge; after a little research on the Internet uncovered the fact he was a horror writer, I  conveniently ignored it. Further submissions suggested a similarity to Dan Brown - now that's just silly! The whole concept of analysing a blog for similarities to authors is entirely ridiculous anyway as most blog posts are not fictional writing and do not share the same sort of  structure, creation of narrative voice or draw on the literary techniques you would expect to find in a novel.

Good fun though!

3 comments:

  1. Agree - an amusing way to spend a few minutes, but complete rubbish otherwise. Apparently, as well as old H P, my writing resembles that of Edgar Allan Poe and Vladimir Nabakov!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite a few of us had fun with this last week Suem, and I was quite pleased to get James Joyce, however the 2nd time I got the ubiquitous Mr Lovecraft so no prizes for guessing which one I aspire to.
    As if!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried this a couple of times some time ago, with very different results but both clearly designed to flatter. It's a marketing tool. They get you to think you write like a successful published author in order to sell you products to help you get published. I'm sticking to blogging for free!

    ReplyDelete