Monday, 21 February 2011

Dull and dreary does it...

I do try to keep up with developments in Anglicanism, as you know, and so I feel kind of bound to link to this  document Questions and Answers about the Anglican Covenant. Before you feel obliged to read it, it tells us absolutely nothing about the Covenant that we didn't already know. For example the question, What will happen if the Covenant is broken? - which is the only thing  I've actually been agog to know since I first heard it mooted - isn't  answered, and could be paraphrased as we don't really know, let's wait and see... They also quote the ABC on the issue, and that's not auspicious when you're looking for sharp answers.

There are some other documents about the Covenant, and they all look equally dull. I do wonder if the dullness is actually  a strategy, the Covenant may well be passed on the back of indifference and total apathy. I am not joking when I say this; organisations such as Inclusive Church are opposed to it, those it was  largely designed to appease have pretty much walked away from it, but the majority in the middle just either don't know or they don't care.

As for me, I've been putting off reading those documents. I don't think you are going to read them either. I guess you've got better things to do, like the washing up, or making a cup of tea or cleaning out the hamster cage. As Vladimir said in Waiting for Godot,
"We wait. We are bored. (He throws up his hand.) No, don't protest, we are bored to death, there's no denying it."
So, it looks like we might just end up with  an Anglican Covenant.

1 comment:

  1. Sadly all too true. Quite a bit of legislation it seems to me, gets passed by default, simply because people are too weary of the subject, or too ill-informed to make a clear judgement.
    By the way, my alternative to reading your "documents" was to watch late-night cricket on BBC 2. fractionally more interesting!

    ReplyDelete