Saturday, 29 January 2011

Hearts of flesh and hearts of stone

 A report here on how David Kato's funeral reflected the Ugandan Church's attitude to homosexuals. They did not send a priest or bishop, but only a lay reader to conduct the ceremony, although Christopher Senyonjo, a fomer bishop, who was stripped of his office for pastoral support of LGBT people, also attended. A local priest, who was attending and not presiding, grabbed the microphone and began to denounce activists who had come to mourn and chaos ensued.
Meanwhile, the PB, whom the absent primates would also like to see excluded and ostracised for the same basic "crime" as Senyonjo, has released a statement. It is almost a prayer, a prayer that we may be given hearts of flesh and not hearts of stone in our relationships towards each other. Amen!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you Sue for you postings on these sad, sad events. I have been moved by what you have said, but also feel very depressed by the way things have developed.
    I have posted more of my own thoughts today, written in sadness more than anger.
    God Bless and Keep You
    Benny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry you feel so depressed and share those feelings. I was very angry yesterday and woke today feeling very low. These events do affect me, I will find it a little harder than usual to go to church tomorrow - though I am planning to go.
    I did go to the cinema with my lovely family this afternoon though and that helped!
    God bless you too and thank you for everything that you do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sad to read about the travails of the Church in Uganda, but what's the alternative to sticking to their line - having hotels shut down because the owners are Christians?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No hotels have been shut down because the owners are Christian though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The hotel has not been officially shut down but has lost business because the owners have been branded as bigots, the stress of which has landed the husband in hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, court cases are stressful, so the stress is highly likely to have contributed to his illness. I didn't know it had lost business, but there have been voices of support in the media as much as there have been intemperate accusation of bigotry. I think its largely Christian clintele can make up their own minds as to whether they find their standards offensive or not. It is quite an interesting reflection of what most Christians actually think if they have lost business as a result of this.

    ReplyDelete