Thursday, 6 January 2011

Give black God the glory! ( She deserves it)

Despite having to go to work, I managed to listen to the final installment of Radio 4 on the King James bible while washing up yesterday evening. It is fascinating that there are so many versions of the bible, often tailored to the politics or understanding of the times. My absolute favourite bit this time was when they played a record by Max Romeo, "Bring back  Maccabee version."



You gave I King James Version
King James was a white man
Now give I Maccabee version
Cos I am a black man
You sold the land God gave I
And taught I to be covetous

What other wicked things
Have you got in mind?
Tell me, what are gonna do
To stop these daily crimes?

Bring back Macabee Version
That God gave to black man
Give back King James Version
Belongs to the white man

Black man, get up, stand up
Find your foot
And give black God the glory
Black man, get up, stand up

Find your foot
And give black God the glory, yeah!

You suffer I and you rob I
You starve I, then you kill I
But what are you gonna do
Now that your sword have turn against you?

Black man, get up, stand up
Find your foot
And give black God the glory
Black man, get up, stand up
Find your foot
And give black God the glory

Bring back Macabee Version
That God gave to black man
Give back King James Version
That belongs to the white man

Black man, get up, stand up
Find your foot
And give black God the glory
Black man, get up, stand up
Find your foot
And give black God the glory

2 comments:

  1. I don't imagagine the Maccebbees would have been any more black than white - surely Middle Eastern?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you read the link, it isn't so much Judas Maccabeus' race or colour that is the issue, more that he came to be seen by black slaves as a symbol of a struggle against oppression. He was a character they identified with, much like Moses leading the children of Israel out of slavery. But because those stories were in the Apocrypha they were no longer easily available when the mission society prohibited bibles being printed with the Apocrypha in the 19th century.

    Hence...bring back Maccabee bible!

    Having said that the original KJV did have the Apocryha!

    ReplyDelete