Thursday, 4 November 2010

To fight or appease?

I am sure I am not the only person to be shaking my head over Wallace Benn's silliness in comparing the situation for traditionalists to 1939 with the storm clouds of war gathering. I am sure the thought of being invaded by Hitler was much more terrifiying to the average Britain than the thought of a woman wearing a mitre. On the other hand we have Tom Wright ( I am afraid he has never impressed me much) using the language of appeasement and saying we should back down from consecrating women as bishops at all.

I do not particularly like the language of warfare, but sometimes it is important to stand up for the right thing when the right time has come - maybe long come! I do not believe we should, or will, back down from consecrating women as bishops. We do not live in an age when it is in any way acceptable for women to be discriminated against. How can the Church oppose discrimination in other spheres when we so blatantly practise it ourselves? Leaving aside leading by example, it would be insupportable to deny women the chance to be bishops when it is so clearly the wholehearted desire and mind of the Church of England to proceed with this matter. It would attract hugely negative publicity, and the issues would not be resolved, for the sake of a minority they would fester. We would have to confront them time and time again, and that is not something that any of us should contemplate.

5 comments:

  1. Wholehearted desire? Mosthearted or Somehearted perhaps?

    It all a symptom anyway, the issue that underlies all this seems to be a complete difference in theology, not just a couple of stylistic differences. I feel like there is no more unity within the established church than there is among the public swimming pools (probably less actually).

    ReplyDelete
  2. No sooner has +Tom Wright vacated the Palace he rarely lived in, the Church Commissioners are to sell his valuable paintings for £15 million. +Tom treasured this Art Work which adorned the walls of his former home. Anglican Mainstreams believe it is part of a Nazi plot to spend the £15 million on training women Bishops.
    http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/8619555.Church_planned_to_flog_historic_Zurbaran_paintings/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Peter. Synod certainly voted overwhelmingly for women bishops, it is the terms on which that will happen that is a more divisive issue now. I actually think most of the grassroots of the Church is fairly united, or at least lives fairly amicably with theological difference.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We are honoured to have such an illustrious vistor, Canon Sugden. I love that pink rinse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I shall be changing my hair colour to purple for Advent. However, I won't be going white for Christmas in case people think I'm an old granny.

    ReplyDelete