Tuesday, 23 November 2010

Queen talks sense

I've always loved the bit in in Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights where Joseph, the cantakerous servant, is described as,

" the wearisomest self-righteous Pharisee that ever ransacked a Bible to rake the promises to himself and fling the curses to his neighbours."

I've noticed for some time now that a lot of the Christians I meet - on the web mainly - hold views that they promote as moral but which I see as rather immoral. What's more some of them seem to think that their view of right and wrong is incontrovertible - usually because they have ransacked the bible in the manner described above. So I was rather delighted to hear that the Queen has opened General Synod with a speech about how Christians do not have a monopoly on morality and a reminder that we live in a diverse society. She even seemed to suggest that the difficult issues facing the Church might lead to renewed growth and vigour.

Well said, Ma'am!

I hope it went down well with the Vogons.

2 comments:

  1. I agree absolutely! And want to acknowledge her hard work and sincerity as well. Thanks for reminding us to be inclusive and listen to one another.

    ReplyDelete