Monday, 27 September 2010

Not ashamed!

I was interested to read that CCFON (Christian Concern for our Nation) are organising a Not Ashamed campaign. On the first of December, CCFON urges us all to don T-shirts proclaiming our Christian faith for the benefit of all the heathens...

I'm not even remotely ashamed of being a Christian, but I would definitely be ashamed to be associated with CCFON! I also wonder whether I'd be a bit ashamed of proclaiming my faith on a T shirt, with the danger that others might think that I was suggesting that I am somehow better, more worthy, holier than others.

I am not sure hard line proselytizing works; I think it is more likely to alienate those who see Christians as judgemental, self righteous, or just plain weird. When people get to know you and learn that you genuinely respect them, then they sometimes open up to you about faith.

I might just be puerile, but I am amused by T shirts with slogans such as, "I've found Jesus - he's behind the sofa!" On the other hand, a T-shirt starkly proclaiming your faith to all and sundry, might just get you a seat all to yourself on the bus ride to work on a Monday morning.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, sigh. I'm as Christian-friendly as a Buddhist can be, what with ordinand friends, teaching medieval lit (whereby I often have to explain the sacraments or the Holy Trinity to dozy undergrads), and a Catholic background....but there's a monstrous, kids'-TV presenter-ish, hyperthyroidal, primary-colour-wearing quality to a lot of 'professional' Christians, especially the evos, which is boundlessly, agonisingly embarrassing to watch. You want to *beg* them to stop, not because they should be ashamed of their convictions, but because it's like watching a really dreadful X-Factor audition. People would be far better off living lives of quiet compassion and gentleness and letting *that* witness to their Christianity, instead of this relentless, inane, show-offy babble that passes for evangelism. As a strategy, it seems to me to appeal mainly to students, people whose first language is not English, and the terminally shallow. Harsh, but that's how it seems from where I'm standing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny, I was about to post about this too! While the idea in essence I quite like, I agree that actually we shouldnt be ashamed anyway, so do we need a day to actually say it?
    I too would be worried about being associated with CCFON and it also worries me that they chose 1st December which is World Aids day and has been for some years. I wonder if this was deliberate or am I reading too much into it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not being ashamed is one thing....but there's a crass, commercialized quality to what these folks are doing which is worse than mere bad taste (though it is bad taste); it places evangelism on a level with advertising and sales, as if Jesus and Faith were simply really great products that you should covet the way you covet a pair of nikes or a playstation 3. And, by the way, I think too that we tend to minimize the truly insidious effect of bad taste. "Oh, it's only a matter of taste." Bad taste is truly a social and cultural corrosive which not only diminishes the quality of life of millions, but desensitizes and dulls us all over time.

    ReplyDelete