Tuesday, 7 September 2010

All work and no play

One of the big issues for me, as for many people, is how to achieve work- life balance. I return every year full of good resolutions that this year there will be more to my life than work, that I will continue to exercise, eat healthily, keep up with friends, maintain the blog, and manage at least one night a week when I go out and do something. By November most of these good intentions have lapsed and I am unfit, tired, find it hard to blog midweek, spend every evening indoors, and the only friends I see are similarly stressed colleagues.
The consequence is that I reach the summer holidays and discover that I have lost touch with friends, stopped attending groups and clubs, and am suddenly at a loose end. This summer has been easier because I have had Kevin around, but I am conscious that to rely entirely on a spouse for your social life is not ideal.
So, yet again, here are my “September resolutions”:
1.I will continue to go to the gym two or three times a week.
2.We will try to see friends at least once a month, and I will attend at least one event with another group of friends who meet every so often for a meal (even though this involves some travelling.)
3.I will keep up with interests such as Speaker’s Club (as a start I have put myself down for an impromptu speech tomorrow...)
One thing I am not aiming to do is to blog more, I shall still blog, but as and when I have time.
Did I also mention that the list includes spending more time with my family, catching up on sleep at the weekend, keeping up with prayer and time alone, helping the boys more with their homework, helping Kev out with household stuff, walking the dog (to get her fit as well), getting some overdue redecorating done and managing to take more short breaks away?
Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. So these are autumn resolutions? Don't be too hard on yourself. Smell the daisies on the way and crunch some fallen leaves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Trouble is that if I do nothing but work non stop, I end up losing touch with friends - as I have to an extent this year.

    ReplyDelete