Sunday, 30 May 2010

Trinity Sunday

I am not going to explain my understanding of the Trinity, not because we are averse to heresy on this blog, rather that it is liable to bore you rigid. I was rather taken with this sermon from the wonderful Liturgy blog. It really clarified things for me, especially the blah, blah, blah bit at the end. On the other hand, there is the reassuring thought of Henry Brook Adams,
"I tell you the solemn truth, that the doctrine of the Trinity is not so difficult to accept for a working proposition as any one of the axioms of physics."
The trouble is I never understood the axioms of Physics...


2 comments:

  1. I supposed the thing that Trinity Sunday is about is that God is complete in himself – a communion of Love, wrought in the Trinity, each giving and receiving from the other. The initial purpose of humanity was to be part of this communion of Love, created out of and by Love; however to be part of this communion involves the acceptance of God’s will (itself an act of Love on humanity’s part and given as an act of God’s love) over one’s own will. Humanity chose the latter and broke the communion. This is, in essence, the theology of The Fall.

    Redemption occurred when God chose to enter space and time, live as a man, with all the temptations and difficulties this entails and yet remain sinless by remaining one with God The Father’s will (Mark 14: 35 being a pertinent example). Thus Jesus became the only man to fully fulfil God’s will and in doing so undid the cost of humanity’s choice of self will, namely death. Belief in God-made-man provides a means of overcoming the judgement on humanity.


    Well that is how I've understood it, but does it make sense?

    Only if you want it to do, I suppose...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steven and thanks for commenting.

    I always think the point of the Trinity is relationship, and that relationship is central to all that is Godly. I once said in a bible study that I thought it represents different aspects of God, the creator, the "human" face of God, the God that is within and everywhere. My vicar, at the time, said that strictly speaking that approach had been deemed heretical in some century - I forget when - which just shows how we get our knickers in a twist over theology...

    I thought your explanation was very helpful - anyone would think you'd been a monk:)

    ReplyDelete