Sunday, 25 April 2010

Finding meaning


BEYOND THE STUDY OF THEOLOGY

Those who don’t feel this love pulling them like a river
Those who don’t drink dawn like a cup of spring water
or take sunset like supper
Those who don’t want to change
let them sleep…
This Love is beyond the study of theology that old trickery and hypocrisy
If you want to improve your mind that way sleep on.
I’ve given up on my brain; I’ve torn the cloth to shreds and thrown it away.
If you’re not completely naked wrap your beautiful robe of words
around you and sleep.

~Jellaludin Rumi

This poem challenges me to question where we really find meaning. I would say that I am someone who thinks quite a lot, (usually when I should be thinking about something else) but I find my greatest "meaning" in something beyond thought. The sermon today was about how we "know", and whether what we know objectively or what we "know" subjectively counts most and it reminded me of this poem.

No comments:

Post a Comment