Friday, 12 February 2010

Men know your limits!

The Rev McLeay and his curate Rev Mark Oden, who unsurprisingly are members of Reform, have managed to make utter fools of themselves by saying that women should submit to their husbands and remain silent.
First the Rev McLeay issued a leaflet explaining the importance of female submission to their husbands. In a section entitled, “More difficult passages to consider”, it continued
"It would seem that women should remain silent....if their questions could legitimately be answered by their husbands at home."
His curate then made matters worse by preaching a sermon in which he explained that the behaviour of modern, liberated women was to blame for the high divorce rate.
Oh dear! Perhaps Rev Oden should have done some research. “My wife asks questions in Church” actually comes very low on the list of reasons cited for divorce ,whilst the adultery of a husband is quite common.
The Rev McLeay should perhaps also have thought about the fact that many women now earn salaries and thus anticipated the fact that many of his congregation might put their money where their mouth is, so to speak, and cancel direct debits to the Church.
One of his female (ex) parishioners demonstrated that women often talk a lot of commonsense,
“How can they talk that way in the 21st century?” she said. “No wonder the Church is losing touch if this is the kind of gobbledegook they want us to believe it. I will not be going back to that church and will have to seriously consider my faith if this is the nonsense they are spouting now."
Next time a member of Reform is tempted to speak without first engaging his brain, he might do well to consult a sensible woman who will tell him to “shut the f*ck up.” There is a wise old saying,
“It is better to keep one’s mouth shut and be thought a fool than open it and remove all possible doubt.”

12 comments:

  1. Oh, Suem, how do you put up with these awful pigs in wigs?! A female friend is off to be an ordinand in the C of E and I worry for her, sometimes. It seems so rammed with horrible people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some of us are quite nice really, Bo, although there are some horrible people - or at least people with horrible attitudes. I would also worry for your friend, I still think women get a hard time and a raw deal in ministry.

    Friends and colleagues sometimes ask me why I don't go into ministry, but I have had a glimpse of what it is like and would rather have my arms sawn off!

    I frequently think of leaving the church because of the attitudes I see. I've drifted away at times, but someone seems to keep me hanging in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't leave Sue! But please shut up.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we shall have to order you a scold's mask Rev Akeroff, just in case your pert remarks get you into trouble one day!

    But I shan't leave as long as you keep entertaining me at Unthinking Anglicans. Just remember to be careful what you say though :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think David Heron is WAY too late in being careful about what he says. It is already beginning to catch up with him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not quite sure what this means?

    I usually publish all comments, unless explicit or offensive but I would rather that threats/ nastiness/ bullying don't take place here?

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Anonymous' illustrating my point nicely there!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I kind of like to see grievances sorted sensibly, Bo.

    We don't always set a very good example of acting with love and respect towards each other as Christians,and that can be from both sides of the divides. A lot of people are just bored by the debates but some are deeply angry with the opposing sides, especially when very personal issues such as sexuality, equality, gender and the interpretation of scripture come into play.
    I have quite a lot of atheist friends and their view of Christians is so negative - but not of me, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know why we men "revel" in the so called authority backed by scripture. As the wife is responsible to the husband, the husband is responsible to Christ. Yeah, the same Christ who washed his apostle's feet and died on the cross to liberate his tormentors, "to lead, you must serve". Come on guys, we got the short end of the stick here. Interesting how the church always seems to stress wife subordination, but not the herculean responsibilities and expectations assigned to the husband. It would seem to me that more is required on the part of men, it follows the church should concentrate more on that side of the fence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bless you icearc!

    I do agree with your wish that the church should focus on the need for men to show a self giving, Christ like love to their wives. However, I do think women are also can and should show the same quality of love.

    To me, deep respect and tenderness to women is written throughout the gospels, starting with Joseph's decision (despite him then believing he had been wronged) that he would not expose Mary to shame but would do his best to protect her interests regardless.

    Not a bad model of masculinity.

    I actually listened to Mark Oden's sermon, in sections he talks about Christ being "tortured and beaten and yet he submitted" - linking this to female submission. It isn't just one comment, he dwells on the theme of enduring physical beating and humiliation for quite some time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. In otherwords, The good Reverend, is for husbands to torture and beat their wives so that they can truly have a Christ-ian experience of submission? Incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, it would be unfair to say he was explicitly saying that, but I think some more brutal minded individual ( and I am sorry but there are brutal minded men out there) could read that into the sub text.

    ReplyDelete