Monday, 21 December 2009


Seeker Of Truth by E. E. Cummings


seeker of truth

follow no path
all paths lead where

truth is here


Advent is about waiting but also about journeying and therefore about seeking, searching and wondering. Cumming’s poem, Seeker of Truth, is well suited to Advent because it raises so many questions. The first question the reader asks is, “Is this poem addressed to me - am I really a seeker of truth? Is every human being a seeker of truth? What is truth? How come I must “follow no path” when “all paths “ lead to truth? How can we lead to something that is already “here”? Do we limit truth by following defined “paths” anyhow? Why is the poem so short? Why does the grammar seem to break down at the end? Why is there no punctuation? Why is “truth here” and not somewhere else? Why does the poet tell us “truth is here” when he has told us no real “truth”?

I hope you don’t think I know the answers? That's not the point of this poem!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue,
    hope you are well and that everything is going fine, its a while since I logged on. Wishing you a lovely Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I put this on the blog because I thought you'd be more likely to see it and get my response here.

    I just wanted to wish you and your family a really happy and blessed Christmas. I will be in touch in the New Year and catch up with you then.

    ReplyDelete